Wild Life Sanctuary Debrigarh
Bargarh district headquarter is on the National Highway No.6 running
from Kolkata to Mumbai, hence well connected to the rest of the country
with comfortable road. There is a Railway Station and the nearest Airport is
Raipur (220 Kms) & Bhubaneswar (350 Kms).
best period of the year to visit this place is between October to March.
During this period the Dhanu Yatra Festival (World’s biggest open air
theatre) is observed here.
There are a number of good hotels besides numerous Govt. Circuit House and Guest houses in the district providing accommodation to tourists and visitors through out the year. The near by tourist spots are well connected to the district headquarter with good road and communication facilities.
Nrusinghnath is situated at a distance of 110 Kms from Bargarh. Being a lone pilgrim spot, it has been appealing the minds of lakhs of people, with magical glitters, for the last so many centuries. This is the Dawning – place of the mention Lard Nrushinghnath, the presiding Deity of the sacred mount GANDHAMARDAN – endearing multitude of memories, surprisingly amalgamating the legends of the Ramayan, the Mahabharat, the Budhist Era; even reminiscent of Bhoj Raj, Santh Kabir and Tantracharya Nagarjuna (the preserver of all scripture)
In the Tretaya Yug (the Silver Age), Jambavan (the unerring counselor of Ram) had suggested Vir Hanuman to bring Bisalyakarani ere dawn, so that Laxman would rise back to life. It was in the middle of the war between Lord Ram and Ravan. Hanuman failed to identify the particular herb and carried on his shoulders a huge Himalayan mass. While flying above and proceeding toward Lanka (the kingdom of Ravan), a portion dropped down. Gandhamardan is synonymous to that portion only.
Glowing tributes is paid to Hiuen T’sang, the champion Chinese traveler, who was attracted by the scenic splendour of Gandhamardan, during his tour to Dakhin Koshal (part of which is current Chhatishgarh and the bewitching colourful zone of Western Orissa). He has spoken of the flowering Buddhist University of PARIMALGIRI (po-lo-mo-lo-ki-li), which had its campus on the picturesque Gandhamardan hills.
Besides being a home of more than 5000 rare medicinal herbs (some hitherto - unidentified), providing medicines for fatal diseases like cancer, tuberculosis, leprosy, filarial, epilepsy, asthma, kidney and lever dysfunctions even AIDS, Gandhamardan serves as a wild life sanctuary for large number of rare species of birds and animals and there by donating its portions towards balancing the Global Ecological Pyramid.
The foundation for the temple was laid down by Baijal Dev on March 17 1413 A.D. as per inscriptions. The temple of Lord Nrushinghnath is only 45 ft high. It is divided into two parts; the first being the seat of the Lord – a short raised narrow plinth and the other Jaga Mohan (the anti-chamber) having three gates and is supported by four pillars, the like found nowhere in Orissa. The rocks used in the Jaga Mohan pillars are of rare kind. They are not seen in the Gandhamardan hills. Believed that, from far off places, Baijal Dev had brought them. With a soft rubbing, these rocks begin to scintillate, to a degree. While entering inside the inner-sanctum, one can see the rock stautes of Nav Grahas (the Nine planets of Astrology) in a line. The other beautiful sculptures include the statutes of Ganga, Jamuna, Nandi, Jaya-Vijaya, Trividram and three conspicuous manifestations i.e. Bamana, Baraha and Samhar Nrusimha. The eight-handed Ganesh and the Cow-herd Sahadev are not inserted, rather they are carved on embedded prototype, near Nav Durga. The original idol of Nrusinganath is also kept.
The main perennial flow of Gandhamardan is PAPAHARINI, literally meaning, The Destroyer of Sins. It is symbolic of Sanatan-the continuum of past, present and future. Flowing out of the confluence of seven fountains, called SAPTADHAR – it has an average width of 12 ft. No man made tributary can flow into it. Nothing can pollute or adulterate it. Running about 25 Kms. it has touched the Ang Tributary and finally embraced Mahanadi.
The mighty Mandap
Satyaam, as one goes from Nrusimhanath to Harishankar an old-patterned
cave is caught in sight. It is just 10.5 Kms away from the main temple,
having dimensions of 150 ft. length, 50 ft. breadth and 25 ft. depth.
This mighty structure resembles like that of a typical Buddhist cave and
prompts us recall the description of a Buddha Vihar by Hiuen T’Sang.
In the district of
Bargarh a large of Siva Temple were built during the Chauhan rule of
undivided Sambalpur. The most important among them were those of the
Asta-Sambhu or 8 Siva Temples such as (1) Bimaleswar Temple at
Huma (Sambalpur), (2) Kedarnath Temple at Ambabhona (Bargarh),
(3) Baidyanath Temple at Deogaon (Bargarh), (4) Balunkeswar
Temple at Gaisama (Bargarh), (5) Mandhata Baba Temple at Maneswar
(Sambalpur), (6) Swapneswar Temple at Sorna (Bargarh), (7) Visweswar
Temple at Soranda (Bargarh) and (8) Nilakantheswar Temple at
Nilji (Bargarh). The Bimaleswar Temple at Huma on the Mahanadi was built
by Maharaja Baliar Singh and the rest were built during the the reign of
Ajit Singh and his son Abhaya Singh.
These temple, though small height, are great artistic beauty and each of these with picturesque background.
life Sanctuary Debrigarh
in the Barapahar hills in Bargarh sub-division having a height of 2267
feet. It was a noted rebel stronghold during the revolt of Balabhadra
Deo, the Gond Zamindar of Lakhanpur, who was killed here. Mahapatra Ray
and Baldia Ray also sought shelter here during 1840 AD after murdering
Baluki Dash, the Maufidar of Bargarh. Veer Surendra Sai the freedom
fighter was captured here in 1864 by British solders. There is a wild
life sanctuary here. Except for elephants, wild buffaloes and blank
Bucks most of the other important animals in the State of Orissa are
more or less represented here.
OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST
village is situated in the north-west of Bargarh , 40 Kms north of
Bargarh. This village was a fortified place in the days of the Chauhan
Rajas of Sambalpur and the remains of the old forte are still in
existence. There is an old stone temple dedicated to "Kedarnath
Siva". It is one of the 8 Siva temples (Astha Sambhu) constructed
by Dakshin Rai, the Dewan of Raja Ajit Singh of Sambalpur. The Kedarnath
temple is located in side a tank with beautiful forest back ground and
it reveals high standard of Chauhan architecture.
village is situated on the N.H.6, 19 Km north of Bargarh on the bank of
Jhaun river. Attabira is the notable rice producing centre. The Hirakud
Irrigation Project has led to double and sometimes trible cropping
and has considerably improved the material condition of the agricultural
community of the area.
Barpali town is located 25 Kms south of Bargarh on the National Highway
No.201 running from Bargarh to Bariguma via Balangir. The Barpali town
is the birth place of famous poet Gangadhar Meher. The premier college
in Sambalpur town has been named after him. The town is inhabited
largely by weavers and gold and silver smiths. It is noted for textile
and bell metal industries.
village in Bargarh sub-division, 19 Kms north of Bargarh on the Bargarh-Ambabhona road. There is a beautiful modern temple dedicated to
Dadhi Vamana Vishnu. Inside the temple there are beautiful wall
Paintings depicting Puranic stories.
village situated 29 Kms. to the east of Bargarh close to the confluence
of the Danta and the Jira rivers. The village is surrounded on three
side by these two rivers. The village is also known as Bisaikela and its
notable for textile industry. The weavers excel in tie and dye work.
village in Padampur sub-division, 26 Km south-east of Bargarh. It was
the headquaters of an ex-Zamindari known as Uttal-Baisi. The village is
inhabited mainly by cultivators and weavers. It is notable for napkins
and bed-sheets manufactured by local weavers.
village in Padampur sub-division 13 Kms to the east of Padampur on the
Sohella-Padampur road. It is noted for the Missionary activities of the
Utkal Christian Council which started work here in 1956. The activities
of the Mission is divided in to 3 wings -Health, Education and
Agriculture. A dispensary was started in the year 1957 which became a
hospital in 1958.
village 13 Km. south-east of Bargarh. Picturesquely situated on the bank
of Jira river, it is noted for the temple of Balunkeswar Siva who is
regarded as one of the eight Sambhus (Astha Sambhu) in Bargarh and
village in Padampur sub-division situated 37 Kms. from Padampur. Sone
Budhist relics have been found at Ganiapali 10 Kms. from here. the place
is identified with ancient Muchalinda, which is said to be a centre of
A village 40 Kms from Bargarh, was the hub various activities during the freedom movement. The entire village was committed to Khadi and freedom movement of Gandhiji. It is really surprising that people of this village still cut thread and wear khadi. The villagers boast of believing and preaching "Ahimsa" and "Satya" and assemble every evening to chant patriotic songs hymns of Bapu. (Collected from JAB)
A village in Padampur sub-division situated 26 Kms. west of Bargarh. A good deal of trade in foodgrain is carried on here. On the west bordering Chhatisgarh, it serves as the gateway of the district.
Devdarha is 91 km from Bargarh. It is a beautiful picnic spot and religious centre. There is a beautiful gorge on the river Surangi. The Dhabaleswar Siva Temple near is an added attraction for the tourist.
Ganiapali is 73 km from Bargarh. It is popular for Baudhavihar. Two Buddhist images have been discovered here.
Papanga is a hill top. It has some historical as well as mythological importance. There is a valley at a height of 400 feet surrounded by seven hills which seen to be seven sister those are sitting together in the hill top. Ramachandra Yogashram is best attraction of this hill top.
Chikhili is 50 km from Bargarh is famous for scenic spot.